August 24, 2012

gudrun mertes-frady: deceleration


gudrun mertes-frady @ minimal exposition
cool blue
2009
oil and metallic pigments on wood
18x18 inches







gudrun mertes-frady @ minimal exposition
east river
2012
oil and metallic pigments on canvas
60x63 inches







gudrun mertes-frady @ minimal exposition
terra rosa
2009
oil and metallic pigments on canvas
60x63 inches







gudrun mertes-frady @ minimal exposition
shift_to_ myth_ii
2012
oil and metallic pigments on wood
36x36 inches







gudrun mertes-frady @ minimal exposition
manhattan II
2009
oil and metallic pigments on canvas
30x31 inches







gudrun mertes-frady @ minimal exposition
mossey green
2011
oil and metallic pigments on canvas
24x24 inches







gudrun mertes-frady @ minimal exposition
orion
2011
oil and metallic pigments on canvas
60x63 inches







gudrun mertes-frady @ minimal exposition
mars rover
2007
oil and metallic pigments on wood
12x12 inches







gudrun mertes-frady @ minimal exposition
viridian field
2009
oil and metallic pigments on canvas
60x63 inches







gudrun mertes-frady @ minimal exposition
where things begin
2012
oil and metallic pigments on canvas
60x63 inches

as a timeless organizing principle, geometry is the underlying matrix or architecture of all my work. I am drawn to its symmetry and quasi-symmetry and the limitless potential to create my own world.

my work is about clarity and structure, pared down to essential forms. in my recent paintings, I use metallic pigments, like aluminum and graphite. I also use mica particles mixed with my colors to affect a kinetic quality of illusory motion depending from which angle the work is seen.

I’m very interested to explore physical fact and psychic affect of color and form with this process. I work toward the instant the painting has its own center, its own logic, physically and intellectually. most of all I want my work to be about deceleration, in the spirit of the works by olafur eliasson and the swiss architect peter zumthor, as a counter point to the ever accelerating whirl of our time, in which our lives seem trapped.

gudrun mertes-frady 2012
more text...


many thanks to gudrun mertes-frady for providing high resolution images for this post!
all content © gudrun mertes-frady all rights reserved

website: www.artnews.org/gudrunmertesfrady










0 comments: