July 19, 2009

ellen mcdermott: an alternative portrait


untitled
© ellen mcdermott all rights reserved

ellen's photo note:
for what it’s worth, it’s never too late, or in my case too early, to be whoever you want to be.
there’s no time limit... start whenever you want... you can change or stay the same. there are no rules to this thing. we can make the best or the worst of it.

I hope you make the best of it.
I hope you see things that stop you.
I hope you feel things that you never felt before.
I hope you meet people with a different point of view.
I hope you live a life that you’re proud of and if you find that you’re not,
I hope you have the strength to start all over again.


the viewer:
when I first read this I thought: that’s really cool; now where have I heard that before?
so I googled it of course, to find it’s from the script to ‘the curious case of benjamin button’; in the letter he wrote to his daughter.
so I thought jeez, some commercial bs, I fell for it; but then I thought: it really is a nice sentiment.
and then I thought, but it’s based on an f. scott fitzgerald short story, so maybe it’s f. freakin’ scott’s words, maybe that makes it okay. to like it, you know?
so I finally wrapped it up [in my mind] this way: even if I read it on the back of a wheaties box, or celestial seasonings, or whatever, it doesn’t really diminish the quality of the sentiment, now does it?


….but what if I read it painted on the side of the wal mart headquarters, right under their logo?????








0 comments: